FIRE STATION AT ASCOT PARK,
COMMANDEERED BY THE MILITARY
|visits since 29 June 2002|
The old Fire Station at Ascot Park near Eagle Farm Racecourse in Brisbane
General Douglas MacArthur had an Intelligence unit called Central Bureau which was responsible for the interception and cryptanalyzing of Japanese intelligence.
Central Bureau had banks of IBM Tabulators, the forerunner of computers, which were used by the cryptanalysts to sort and strip away ciphers which concealed the original text. These IBM Tabulators were initially located in the garage at the rear of large house at 21 Henry Street, Ascot. The IBM machines were later moved from the garage at 21 Henry Street to the Fire Station at Ascot Park.
This may have been the IBM Tape Operated Equipment at the Fire Station
You can see the punch tape
The old Fire Station at 77 Kitchener Road, Ascot is now used by the Kitchener Road TAFE Children's Centre.
|WAAAF and RAAF personnel at Ascot Park in 1944 or 1945|
|Foundation stone for the Fire Station|
|Plaque regarding the WW2 involvement of the Fire Station|
|Kitchener Road TAFE Children's Centre sign above the WW2 plaque|
Bureau re-union at 21 Henry Street on 1 May 1988
Organised by Central Bureau Intelligence Corps Association
© Peter Dunn 2004
This page first produced 29 June 2002
This page last updated 20 March 2004