RESERVE PERSONNEL POOL RAAF
|visits since 17 May 2007|
No. 1 Reserve Personnel Pool (1RPP) RAAF was established on 12 November 1942 under the command of Squadron Leader F.A. Martyn. The unit was initially based at "The Weir" at Aitkenvale in Townsville.
During its first month of operation 1,101 personnel were posted into No. 1 Reserve Personnel Pool and 1,013 personnel were posted out of the unit. Quite a busy place!
During that first month working parties were supplied as follows:-
A well stocked canteen was also established in that first month.
In December 1942, the Unit was glad to move from their tented camp at "The Weir" after some heavy rain moved to their newly constructed RAAF Base Pool Camp at Aitkenvale. They spent the next few months finishing off the construction of their new camp.
During May 1943, a total of 666 personnel were moved from 1RPP by air and 115 by sea to places such as Port Moresby, Milne Bay and Horn Island. The Unit dedicated its new Chapel on 26 August 1944.
Squadron Leader A.A. Doyle became the new Commanding Officer of 1RPP on 17 July 1944.
Language courses in Malay were conducted at 1RPP in August 1944.
The large turnover of personnel through the pool continued in September 1944 with 2,337 personnel arriving at the camp and 2,550 personnel departing.
Squadron Leader S.S. Evans took over as Commanding Officer on 19 September 1945. He was soon replaced by Squadron Leader A.H. Steele on 27 October 1945.
No. 1 Reserve Personnel Pool was disbanded on 15 April 1946. Over the life of the unit a total of 133,606 personnel were moved though the unit, 66,804 personnel coming into the unit and the same number leaving the unit.
No. 10 Transportation and Movements Office RAAF was attached to 1RPP at Aitkenvale during the war.
Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A
Volume 9 - Ancillary Units
Compiled by the RAAF Historical Section
© Peter Dunn 2006
This page first produced 17 May 2007
This page last updated 17 May 2007