38 Squadron RAAF was formed at RAAF Station Richmond in New South Wales on 15 September 1943 to Establishment No. HD129. Squadron Leader C.C Forman was appointed as the Squadron's first Commanding Officer on 27 October 1943.

The first aircraft delivered to 38 Squadron on 7 November 1943 was Lockheed Hudson. Mark IV,  A16-134. It was ferried from Tocumal to Richmond by the Commanding Officer Squadron Leader C.C. Forman (RAF) (290487). It was then used for general cargo, passengers and V.I.P flights. 

38 Squadron's first official operational flight was a freight run from Richmond to Gorrie airfield in the Northern Territory on the 17th December 1943. 

By 20 December 1943, 38 Squadron had a strength of 14 officers, 87 airmen and only 3 aircraft. On 9 February 1944 Moth Minor A21-38 was attached to 38 Squadron at Richmond. On 24 February 1944, C-47-A Dakota A65-39 was allotted to 38 Squadron.

On 5 March 1944, Hudson A16-122 made a forced landing while on a stores run. There were no injuries. This aircraft had earlier been involved in a "Friendly Fire" incident when it attacked a US Submarine, USS Sargo (SS-188) on 4 March 1942, one day out from the Fremantle Submarine Base.

In May 1944 the Squadron was re-equipped with Dakotas which replaced their dependable Lockheed Hudsons. On the 22 May 1944, the Squadron and its operational role came under the control of the Directorate of Air Transport, Allied Air Forces. On 15 October 1944, 38 Squadron came under the control of the the R.A.A.F Directorate of Air Transport.

During 1944, 38 Squadron operated on internal transport routes throughout Australia and worked with the USAF on transport routes to Hollandia, Biak and Noemfoer. In October 1944, 38 Squadron's duties were extended to include parachute training.

Squadron Leader R.G Cornfoot, AFC, took over as the next Commanding Officer on 6 October 1944.

In December 1944, 38 Squadron started to move its personnel and equipment to Archerfield airfield in Brisbane. The Squadron finished operations at Richmond on 27 December 1944. During this move the Squadron continued to fly operational transport missions to New Guinea. 38 Squadron's casualty evacuation operations were increased in 1945. In the same year it commenced supply dropping operations in New Guinea and Borneo.

When the Japanese surrendered on 15 August 1945, 38 Squadron RAAF was the first to fly into Singapore to evacuate POW's from Bangkok, Singapore and Borneo. 



I'd like to thank Gordon Birkett for his assistance with this home page.


Can anyone help me with more information?


"Australia @ War" WWII Research Products

I need your help


 Peter Dunn 2015


Please e-mail me
any information or photographs

"Australia @ War"
8GB USB Memory Stick

This page first produced 28 March 2005

This page last updated 13 January 2020