hline.gif (2424 bytes)


Photo supplied by Ross Jones

The nose of "Bataan", Macarthur's personal B-17E Flying Fortress #41-2593


bataan01.jpg (66176 bytes)
Photo supplied by Ross Jones

Colour photograph of "Bataan"
possibly at Nadzab in New  
 Guinea. Thomas L. Jones in 
on the left with Paul Solomon
 on the right.                          


Photo supplied by Ross Jones

The nose of "Bataan", Macarthur's personal B-17E Flying Fortress


In November 1943 General Douglas MacArthur obtained his own personal B-17E Flying Fortress #41-2593 which he named "Bataan". Prior to this MacArthur would travel within Australia in a C-47A and a DC3 and if travelling over water he would fly in General George C. Kenney's personal B-17E Flying Fortress "Sally".

B-17E Flying Fortress "Bataan" was one of four B-17E/Fs specially converted into transport aircraft under the designation XC-108 in 1943. Whilst "Bataan" was a B-17E model it had an "F" model  "blown" Plexiglas nose with a single 0.50-cal machine gun with a chrome barrel. This was the only armament fitted to "Bataan". It was also fitted with a navigator's astrodome.

Weldon E. "Dusty" Rhoades, was Macarthur's personal pilot. Rhoades was an ex United Airlines pilot.


"Bataan" later known as "Bataan I" when MacArthur obtained "Bataan II" a new C-54.


"Dusty" Rhoades travelled to Amberley airfield on 1 August 1944 to try to determine how they could convert one of their new C-54B's into General MacArthur's new personal aircraft.

On 19 April 1945, General Douglas Macarthur and his wife Jean inspected "Bataan II" at Santa Monica. "Bataan II" was his new C-54, his new personal aircraft.

Pilots Major Karl Oviatt and Major Skov flew General Sutherland back to the the States in "Bataan I". They left Manila, Philippines on the evening of 4 August 1945 at 2000 hours. On 11 August 1945, MacArthur ordered General Sutherland to return from the States immediately as the atomic bombs had just been dropped on Japan and the Japanese surrender appeared imminent.

The pilots and crew of Bataan I had been given leave of absence on their arrival in the States, so they had to be located at short notice. By then "Bataan I" was already undergoing major repairs at Wright Field.

After only 5 days in the USA General Sutherland left in a different B-17 Flying Fortress leaving the tired old "Bataan I" in the USA. Sutherland arrived back in Manila at 6:15am on 18 August 1945.

The May 1944 edition of the Brisbane US Military Telephone Directory shows a Captain Karl E. Oviatt in Planning Division, G-3 GHQ  in room 715 in GHQ, SWPA (AMP building, Queens Street, Brisbane). I found a Grey Eagles Web site which showed a Karl E. Oviatt, an ex American Airlines pilot, dying on 21 February 2007. This is probably the same Karl Oviatt.


Does anyone know what became of "Bataan I"
after its overhaul at Wright Field?



I'd like to thank Ross Jones for his assistance with this home page.



"Flying MacArthur to Victory"
By Weldon E. "Dusty" Rhoades

"B-17 Flying Fortress Units of the Pacific War"
by MartinW. Bowman


Can anyone help me with more information ?


Byron Bay Web Hosting
Green Web Hosting

In Association with Amazon.com

Heaps of WW2
books available at

                         "Australia @ War"


 Peter Dunn 2006


Please e-mail me
any information or photographs

"Australia @ War"
Available on a USB Memory Stick

Peter Dunn's
explode.gif (15799 bytes) AUSTRALIA @ WAR explode.gif (15799 bytes)

Do you need a holiday!
Sun, surf, beautiful beaches and lots more!

I need your help

This page first produced 7 September 2003

This page last updated 19 August 2014