Anders Jensen from Aalborg, Denmark


Click here for Some other Jensen Photographs





BORN - 21 July 1848 in Aalborg, Denmark

FIRST MARRIAGE - to Magdalena Christina Mortensen at Maryborough, Queensland on 20 July 1872.

SECOND MARRIAGE - to Ellen Raymond Salpin at the Wesley Church in Maryborough, Queensland on 15 April 1911.


1. Jens Christie (31 Jan 1872)

2. Nils Peder (Niels Peter) (9 Aug 1873)

3. Carl Martin (29 Apr 1875)

4. Andrew Fredrik (29 Jul 1876)

5. Marie Kirstine (22 May 1878)

6. Martin (8 Jun 1880)

7. Christina Maria (2 Mar 1882)

8. Emil (28 Jul 1883)

9. Marianne Magdeline (22 Mar 1885)

10. Kikoline Catherina (6 Dec 1886)

11. Julius Waldemar (18 Apr 1881)

12. Enos Victor (27 Sep 1889)

13. Albert William (12 Sep 1890)

14. Martha Sofia (17 Jan 1892)

15. Percy Evart (8 Jul 1893)


DIED - 10 Feb 1923 in Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia.

BURIED - at Nikenbah Cemetery, Hervey Bay, Queensland on 13 Feb 1923



Labourer (shown on Marriage Certificate in 1872).

Selector in 1879.

Sawyer (shown on 2nd Marriage Certificate in 1911).



Anders fought in the Danish army in the Schleswig Wars. In 1848 a revolt broke out in Holstein and Schleswig, 2 German States just south of Denmark. Although not part of Denmark, they were ruled by the Danish King. A revolutionary government of Schleswig - Holstein was set up. This government wanted to throw off Danish control and join the German Confederation, of which Holstein was already a member. Danish troops defeated the rebels in 1850. In 1863, a new Constitution was formed by which Schleswig was made a part of Denmark. In 1864, German Chancellor Bismarck attacked Denmark. Prussia and its ally Austria won a quick victory and took over Schleswig and Holstein from Denmark. Under the Treaty of Vienna, Denmark had to cede all the land beyond the Kongeaa.

Anders' grandson, Neil Stanley Jensen, when he was a child, used to sit on the knees of Anders Jensen who would poke his fingers through a bullet hole in a hat that he wore in the Schleswig/Holstein war. If he was born in 1848 he would have been approximately 16 years old in 1864. From 1849, men were enlisted in the Danish Army at fourteen years of age and from 1869, they were enlisted at seventeen.

In 1868 the first Danish Law regarding emigration was introduced. Anders immigrated to Australia, embarking at Maryborough. It is thought by some of his descendants that Anders may have met his future wife Magdalena on the boat. I have not been able to confirm this yet. I think she came on a different ship.

Anders Jensen, aged 22 years old, arrived in Hervey Bay on 4 March 1871 on the ship "Reichstag". The shipping records show that Anders was living at Norre Tranders. Norre Tranders was a tiny village and parish in the 1800's three kms east of Aalborg. It is now an eastern suburb of Aalborg. The original church still exists in 1992. The shipping records show that Anders was a "Landmann" or peasant.





CAPTAIN - H. Hauschildt

SURGEON - Dr. Schleissner

DEPARTED Hamburg 19 Nov 1870

ARRIVED Hervey Bay 4 Mar 1871

DURATION - 14 weeks, 6 days or 104 days.

329 passengers at Departure comprising:-

227 males or 258 adults

102 females, 66 children less than 10 yrs and 5 children less than 1 yrs

326 passengers at Arrival

1 adult and 4 children died on the voyage.

2 children were born on the voyage.



Danes 125 (including 3 from Sleswig)

Swedes 18

Norwegians 0

Swiss 40

Austrian 1

German 145 (including 1 from Scleswig (sic) and 10 from Holstein)


Danes 4

Swedes 0




The Reichstag was a 3 mast iron sailing vessel (or Vollshiff)

Reg. No. 330

Weight: 737 tons (622)

Dimensions: 174 ft., 6 ins. X 30 ft., 1 ins. X 18 ft., 3 ins.


53.1 m. X 9.17 m. X 5.68 m.

2 decks

Owners: Hamburg Shipping company of Robert Miles Sloman Jr.

Rob. M. Sloman & Co., Baumwall 3, im Hamburg.

Masters: F. Plumb, C.J.H. Cahnbley, H. Hauschildt, C.J.O. Hoffman.

Built: Alexander Stephen & Sons, Kelvianhaugh,

Glasgow, June 1867.

Port of Survey: Clyde, Glasgow, &c. New York.

Destinations: Australia and New Zealand.



Maryborough Chronicle & Wide Bay

Tuesday, March 7, 1871


March 4th, 1871 "REICHSTAG" ship 800 tons.

Captain H. Hauschildt from Hamburg with 327 immigrants.




March 11th, 1871 "REICHSTAG" ship 737 tons.

Captain H. Hauschildt for Brisbane with original cargo and passengers.

Tuesday March 7th, 1871

The ship "REICHSTAG" from Hamburg, with German immigrants arrived of Woody Island on Saturday afternoon last, after a fair passage of about 104 days. The medical officer and an acting health officer proceeded down to her on Saturday evening and arrived on board at 2 p.m. on Sunday. The passengers with one exception appear to be all in good health. Several deaths principally infants have occurred during the voyage. The passengers will be conveyed up by the Lady Bowen on Thursday, when we shall no doubt be placed in full particulars respecting the voyage.



Maryborough Chronicle

Saturday, March 11, 1871


The immigrants by the "REICHSTAG" were brought up from Hervey's Bay on Thursday evening by the "Lady Bowen" which arrived at the wharf shortly after 5 o'clock. The immigrants seemed to be thoroughly happy and were singing in the most hearty manner and with considerable effect, one of their national songs "The Rhine Watch". A large number of persons congregated on the wharf and the bank of the river awaiting that arrival, and as soon as the vessel showed round the point by the powder magazine, the immigrants commenced cheering, which was heartily responded to by those on shore. As soon as the steamer was made fast, the immigrants commenced their disembarkation and it was a very pleasing sight to notice that hardly one of them landed without shaking hands with Captain Hauschildt and Dr. Seisner who came up with them, thus giving ample proof that they had been well cared for on the voyage. In the course of an hour all were conveyed to the immigrants barracks where they were to spend their first night on shore in Queensland.

Respecting the voyage out, Captain Hauschildt has kindly furnished us with the following particulars.

The "REICHSTAG" ship 737 tons register, sailed from Hamburg on the 14th November, 1870 and discharged pilot on the 18th off Heligoland; experienced heavy head winds and thick weather on entering the English Channel, with occasional calms, and were very politely escorted by three French man-of-war steamers. A strong favourable wind accompanied with rain enabled her to shake them off and escape from their pressing attentions. Sighted Beechy Head on the 29th and had fair weather and light winds to Madeira, which was sighted at 9 a.m. on the 5th December; light variable winds continued to the equator, which was crossed on the 26th December; not having and, properly speaking any N.E. trades - it was in fact, almost impossible to know where N.E. trades ceased and S.E. commenced, as light easterly winds were the rule till past the latitude of the Cape of Good Hope; thence light favourable winds continued from Latitude 46 degrees to meridian of S.W. Cape of Tasmania which was passed on the 19th February 1871; afterwards had southeast and southerly winds until sighting Cape Moreton light at 5 a.m. on Monday 27th February when it came on to blow hard from the S.S.E., with heavy rain gradually veering to east, the vessel being put under double reefed canvas for the first time since leaving the English Channel. At 11 a.m. on the 3rd instant rounded Breaksea Spit, the wind being light from the S.E. and calm; got pilot on board at 9 a.m. on the 4th, 9 miles N.E. of fairway buoy; beat in with flood tide and anchored south of Middle Bank at 7.30 p.m. At 2 p.m. the Acting Sub Collector of Customs and Health officer came aboard from the pilot schooner "Ethel" and passed the ship. At 4 p.m. got under weigh and beat up to and anchored off White Cliffs at 8.30 p.m. same night. On Tuesday the immigration agent Mr. Faircloth and Mr. Travis, agent for the vessel, proceeded down by the Leichhardt - the latter having previously forwarded a liberal supply of fresh beef, vegetables, bread, fruit etc. which was none the less acceptable although an ample quantity of sea-going stores had been supplied by the owner Robert M. Sloman of Hamburg and liberally dispensed by the Captain, as well as the medical comforts by the Doctor. There were four births on the voyage and seven deaths, six of the latter being children under two years of age, and one adult of inflammation of the brain. The ship "Western Bride" from the Clyde to Bombay, thirty days out, was spoken on the 18th December 1870 in Lat 150 degrees, Long. 26 degrees, 4'3'W.

From the gentlemen who visited the vessel officially we are given to understand that this is one of the cleanest and best conducted ships and the immigrants themselves the finest and healthiest lot of passengers it has been their fortune to admit to pratique, and we have no doubt they will prove beneficial to the district and by duly appreciated.

The number of immigrants all told are 326 - consisting of 28 single females; 149 single men; 40 married couples and 69 children. Many of the men are experienced mechanics - such as black-smiths, engineers, engine fitters etc. and a large proportion have been accustomed to agricultural pursuits in their native countries, viz. Sweden, Denmark and the German states, and if healthy looks and good appearance be a criterion we have no doubt the single girls will be found good general servants.



Maryborough Chronicle

Saturday, March 11, 1871

The immigrants by the ship "REICHSTAG" now lying at the White Cliffs, were brought up the river on Thursday afternoon, singing some of their national songs in full chorus. They seem a fine lot and look remarkably cheerful and sanguine as to their prospects in this colony. As might be expected under the circumstances in which Germany is now placed only a small proportion of them are natives of that land, the remainder being chiefly Danes and Swiss. The depot yesterday presented a busy scene, friends long parted confabulating together once more, acquaintances comparing notes as to all the mighty events of the last year, and employers hiring servants and labourers at a great rate. The majority of the passengers have come out under engagement to hire immediately on landing, so that there is little probability of the depot remaining occupied more than a few days. Eighty immigrants have already been engaged at fair rates. Mr. Bonarius the agent for the German immigrants, was on board the vessel soon after its arrival and has been in attendance at the depot to interpret engagements and generally look after the interests of the immigrants.



Anders and Magdalena Mortensen married in Maryborough in July 1872 and were still there when Nils Peder was born in August 1873. Someone told me that they moved to Rockhampton, then St. Lawrence to take up farming? This may or may not be true. They later moved to the Pialba area.

Anders and Magdalena were married in Maryborough on 20 July 1872, according to the Rites of the German Lutheran Church. Qld. Country Marriage Certificate No. 377.72. Witnesses at their marriage were Hans Hansen, and Friedrich Larsen. Fred Copas was the officiating Minister or Registrar. The Certificate shows Anders age as 24 years and the same age for his wife.

The naturalisation records at the Queensland State Archives show that an A.A. Jensen, a wheelwright from Maryborough, but originally from Denmark was naturalised on 26 July 1884. This may not have been our Anders Jensen as by then he would have been living at Doolong Farm.

Anders and Emil Jensen are shown in the Qld. Post Office Directory from the 1900 to the 1910/11 edition. They are entered as farmers at Pialba. Anders' wife's Death Certificate shows that Anders was living at Doolong farm, Urangan on 24 June 1906.

Anders' daughter Christina Maria was living at Doolong, Pialba at the time of her marriage on 21 November 1906.

Anders Jensen, a farmer, is shown in the 1909 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls, Division of Wide Bay, Subdivision of Howard, living at Doolong, Pialba. He does not appear in the 1913 or 1914 Electoral Rolls in the same area.

The 1919 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls, Division of Brisbane, Subdivision of Fortitude Valley show an Anders Jensen, gardener, living at 49 Gipps St., Valley. This may or may not be our Anders Jensen.

Myra Menzies (nee Jensen) told me that Anders Jensen was still alive when she was a child. Myra was born in 1913. Myra said he stayed with her aunty Lena (Nickolena Caroline) at "Hillside", Takura. Nickolena told her daughter Laura that when she was about 2 or 3 years old (i.e. approximately 1922/23) she used to wake up her grandfather for breakfast in the mornings for her mother. She used to say "come to bukka grandfather".

Apparently Andrew Henry Emil Jensen and Anders Jensen did not get on with each other. Myra knew Anders as her "Bedstefar" which is Danish for grandfather. A.H.E. Jensen's father was called grandfather.

The 1922 Commonwealth Electoral Rolls, Division of Wide Bay, Subdivision of Howard show Anders Jensen living at Mr. Jacobsen's, Takura.

Joan Jensen (nee Lewis) told me that Maud Jensen (nee Elfverson) told her that Anders Jensen used to sit on the steps of their house at Kandanga and watch the trains go by. Maud told her that she could never understand Anders' accent. Anders apparently always called Maud "Mrs Jensen". Her husband Julius would then tell his father "that's Maud".

Jean Edgeworth (nee Jensen) told me that her mother told her that Anders Jensen moved to Sydney where he ran a boarding house. This may be incorrect, as Marjorie Keers (nee Jensen) told me that Emil Jensen used to live in Paddington in Sydney and used to run a boarding house. Marjorie also said that Anders Jensen only visited Sydney and did not live there.

An Andrew C. Jensen of 28 Hewison Street, Tighes H., Sydney started to appear in the NSW Post Office Directory in 1926 which is the first year that Anders' son, Martin Jensen, also started to appear. It is not Anders Jensen as he died in February 1923. Perhaps it was his son Christie Jensen? He appears in the 1926 - 1930 editions. After 1930 the format of the NSW POD changed making it difficult to locate, as there were no longer any alphabetical indexes. There is a Hewison Street at Cabramatta.

Anders was living in Maryborough at the time of his second marriage to Ellen Carey (nee Salpin) on 15 April 1911. Marriage Certificate No. 11/ 002239. His Marriage Certificate shows his age as 63 years and his occupation as a Sawyer. Witnesses at his second marriage were Henry Dorweis and James Wells. They were married in the Wesley Church at Maryborough according to the rites of the Methodist Church. A.C. Plane was the officiating Minister or Registrar. Anders' second wife, Ellen Raymond Carey, was 11 years younger than him.

Anders Jensen died on 10 February 1923 in the General Hospital Maryborough from "Enlargement of Prostraste gland Cystitis; Pyelitis; Toxaemia; Heart Failure". John Jacobsen and M.C. Kindt were witnesses on his Death Certificate. His Death Certificate gives his father as Peter Jensen, labourer and his mother as Maren Jensen (nee Petersen). It states that Anders was 74 years old. His doctor was Dr. W.G. Brown. G. Thomas was the matron at the Hospital. It states that Anders was 24 years old when he first married and 63 years old at his second marriage.

Anders Jensen was buried at Nikenbah Cemetery on 13 February 1923. His name is not mentioned on the headstone. Only his wife Madeline Jensen is mentioned. Nikenbah Cemetery was a private cemetery which is now closed. It is now looked after by the local Council. Neil Moes, aged 94 years, was the last person to be buried at Nikenbah.

There is another Anders Jensen buried at Nikenbah Cemetery. This grave is at the very rear right hand side of the cemetery.




The existing house can be seen in the foreground. The location of Anders Jensen's
original house is unclear. (Photo kindly donated by Mrs. Joan McFie in Feb 1997)

On 28 Jan 1879, Anders selected 200 acres of land at Urangan. The Registered Number of the selection was No. 1212. The lease was subsequently issued on 29 Oct 1879. He paid an annual rental of 5 Pounds. After a total rental of only 50 Pounds the land was considered purchased. A certificate was issued on 21 Jun 1883, and the Deed was prepared on 21 Jan 1884. This land is the Doolong Farm mentioned on his daughter's (Christina Maria) Marriage Certificate. The Real Property Description for Doolong Farm is Portion 1212, Parish of Urangan, County of March, District of Wide Bay. A copy of the original Plan (Cat. No. M37.519) showing the property with Anders Jensen's name on it can be obtained from Sunmap at their Woolloongabba Office, Brisbane. Some of the other names shown on the above plan are John Hansen, Hans Jorgensen, E. B. Barns, Robert Braddock, P. Brennan, Anders Larsen, L. N. Nielson, C. L. O. Koppen, J. E. W. Auer, and ? A. Franz.





Anders Jensen sold Doolong Farm to an Alexander Macpherson, a railway guard, in approximately 1909.

Alexander and his wife Margaret lived there until 1925. The farm was taken over by their son Alexander Walter Macpherson. Alexander senior and Margaret may have moved back on to the farm for a short time around 1930. They then moved to Main Street, Pialba.

Alexander Macpherson junior and his wife Kathleen lived at Doolong farm until at least 1937. Kathleen was the Bay correspondent for the Maryborough Chronicle for many years. She was living at the Fairhaven, Church of Christ Retirement Home, Maryborough in August 1990. Alex and Kath had a daughter called Marjorie who married a Keith Monteith. In 1990 they lived at Cloyna near Murgon. They had another daughter, now Joan Bridge, of Point Vernon. They also had a son called Don who worked for the Western Australian Government.

Joan Bridge wrote to me in January 1991 and told me that there used to be a "Juice Mill" at Doolong possibly on Anders' farm. When Joan lived there she remembered an old iron deed box marked 'Doolong Mill'. It was there up until they sold the property in 1945. She thought that her grandparents bought the farm in either 1908 or 1909. The new house was built in 1909 according to 'family legend'. A book by Joan Christiansen titled "They Came ... and Stayed, A History of Hervey Bay" refers to a Mill as follows:-

"The situation improved in July, 1883. Stutz Bros Sugar Mill began operating at Kawangan, site of the Hervey Bay College. This mill could be adapted to mill timber in the off-season. Four days later Hansen and Jorgensen's mill started producing at Doolong, the first load of sugar being purchased by Mr. Geraghty to sell in his store in Maryborough. Another mill was built by Vulcan Foundry for Boyle Martin in 1883. A complete cane crushing and manufacturing plant, it was erected on the left-hand side of the Dundowran Road, just past the turn-off from Maryborough-Hervey Bay road near Condor Lakes Shopping village. A fourth mill was built half way along Nissens Road by Watson and Haupt. These last two mills did not operate for long, the lack of water being the main reason for their closures. By 1889 the last mill to shut down operations, Boyle Martin's Doolong Mill, had closed."

Hansen and Jorgensen were both neighbours of Anders Jensen.

Her parents bought out her grandparents share in about 1926, the year Joan was born. Before that both couples lived there for 3 years. The louvres were added on the front verandah to give Joan's parents a private sitting area. The original house was 50 yards in a south west direction from the existing house. It burnt down? The existing house was built using timber from the property. Her grandfather apparently refused to accept any pine linings from the mill that had a knot in it.

They grew sugar cane on the 48 acre assignment in the scrub section of the property towards Rasmussen's. They used the front 100 acres for grazing. Joan's father was Chairman of the Burrum Shire Council for one term in the mid 1930's. He was bitten by a brown snake in approximately 1936 or 1937. He was very ill for a long time. The doctor claimed that his hand knit wool socks saved his life.

Joan said that there was a tale of a house being on the hill where the mango trees are. There were also pears and guavas there when she was a child. Joan's father died in April 1944. Her mother could not manage the farm, so it was sold to Harold Spall. The Macphersons moved out in January 1945.


Alexander Macpherson sold the farm to Harold Spall. Mr. Spall's son, Keith was living in July 1990 at Wilston Heights, in Brisbane. Keith Spall told me that the paling fence erected in front of the house must have been built by Henry Steinhardt, the next owner. Keith said that the small block excised from the main block was owned by Cecil Cohen who later gifted it to John Anderson. Cecil Cohen used to work at Torbay Retirement home. Keith said his father bought Doolong Farm from Mr. Macpherson who was the Cane Inspector. Apparently someone was bitten by a snake on the property and may have died.


Charlie Ninnes told me that Henry Steinhardt purchased Doolong Farm from Harold Spall. Henry Steinhardt owned Doolong Farm from 1949 until 1952. His daughter, Alice Steinhardt, married Charlie Ninnes. Alice is a first cousin of Aveline Ida Jensen (nee Scheiwe). Henry grew sugar cane and had a small dairy herd. He also used to grow a few small crops and melons.


The next owner of Doolong Farm was a Jim Dunn. Jim Dunn owned the property for about 2 years. He sold the farm to Tom Cornwell and moved to Dalby. Jim Dunn had a son called John who was in the Army at Wacol in approximately 1955.


Jim Dunn sold Doolong Farm to Thomas Cornwell and his wife Rose.


Cornwell placed the property up for sale and 3 months later on the day that the McFies had their finance approved, Walker Redmond purchased the property. Redmond owned the property for only 3 months. He made no improvements on the property. By then the property was run as a dairy farm. Redmond placed the dairy cows on another property. His wife Verity Redmond did not like the house so they placed it on the market.

(g) McFIES

The McFie's moved in on 20 July 1968. In 1990 the McFie's house was about 400 metres back from Doolong Road behind a patch of trees. Charlie Ninnes told me that a sleepout has been added to the house.

The property is now called "Colonsay". The postal address is 125 Doolong Rd. Mrs. McFie thought that Anders Jensen's original house was at the very rear of the property near the mango trees. This conflicts with the information given by an old neighbour called Cecil Cohen. At a later time Mrs. McFie said that there used to be another house about 20 yards behind the existing house and it burnt down. She was told this by one of Mrs. Macpherson's daughters.





Cecil Cohen is the grandson of Hans Jorgensen. He was born in Brisbane on 12 January 1909. When he was 2 years old, his mother came back to live with her parents at Doolong. The house that Cecil was living in (in 1990) was built in 1916. In January 1991, Cecil will have lived in the house for 80 years. The house looks derelict with all the windows boarded up.

The property has been with the family for 110 years (in 1990) between his grandfather, his mother and himself.

When his grandfather died, Hans Hansen, who was on the Burrum Shire Council, helped Cecil's mother to straighten out the transfer of the property.

The barn to the right hand side of Cecil's house was built by his grandfather. His grandmother planted the big fig tree.

Cecil Cohen told me that he thought that the original house lived in by Anders Jensen was about 50 metres on his side of the present house occupied by the McFie's. This would put it near a number of sheds.

Cecil told me that he never saw his father as he never returned from World War I. He has a photo of his father in his uniform.

Cecil had a younger brother (2 years younger), who worked for the Government.

Cecil told me in a letter in December 1990 that Macpherson's lived in Anders Jensen's original house. The house was about 2 chains from the existing house. There was also a small barn and horse stables. These old buildings were erected down the gully end (south) and a new barn was built in 1930. He thought the existing house was built by a Danish carpenter called Jens Madsen, in about 1919, or 1920. Joan Bridges (nee Macpherson) told me that it was built in about 1909. The original house and barn were demolished. Joan Bridge said that the original house burnt down.


Hans Jorgensen originally owned the small block of 40 acres adjacent to Doolong Farm.

Hans Jorgensen is mentioned in a book by Joan Christiansen titled "They Came ... and Stayed, A History of Hervey Bay":-

Five acres of land provided by Boyle Martin formed the substance of a new application proposal for the building of the State School of Pialba, being approved by the Minister in January, 1883. The school, opposite the present Pialba golf course, was finally completed in early July, 1884 and opened on 30 July, 1884. The first school committee consisted of Mr. Hans Jorgensen, Boyle Martin, Johan P.C. Hansen, Christian Moes, P. Hunter, John Nash, Jens Damm, Laurids Nissen and Mr. W.H. Caldwell as Secretary."

"When Mr. Barkwell came as head teacher to the newly erected Pialba School in 1884, he could see the need for a church and Sunday School closer to Pialba than Aalborg, for he found the Aalborg Danish Church too far to take the children for religious instruction. He called a meeting to discuss the matter and, as a result, a proper meeting was called on 18 March, 1887."

"Mr. H. Jorgensen took the chair and Mr. Barwell was elected Secretary. At this first meeting, 100 was given in subscriptions towards the building of a new church on one acre of land on the Pialba side of the present SES building, the land being acquired at a reduced rate....."

Hans Jorgensen died on 16 October 1913 at his house in Doolong aged 61 years. His grandson, Cecil Cohen, told me that Hans was a blacksmith, wheelwright and coach builder. Cecil said that his grandfather and grandmother met on the sailing ship on their way to Australia from Denmark.

Her name was Rasmussen. She had a girl and a boy with her on the ship. She died in October 1911.

Hans Jorgensen's Obituary can be found in the Maryborough Chronicle on 17 October 1916:-



Another one of the old identities of the Pialba district, passed away at his residence, Doolong, yesterday, in the person of Mr. Hans Jorgensen. The deceased, who was well known and widely respected in the district, was 61 years of age at his death, and had spent the greater part of his life in the district, and for many years followed the occupation of a blacksmith. His wife predeceased him several years ago, and he leaves a family of grown-up children to mourn their loss. The funeral takes place at 2 o'clock to-day from his late residence, all arrangements for interment being in the hands of Mr. J. Ammenhauser."

Cecil Cohen was 4 years old when his grandfather died and in December 1990 he told me that he could remember being at the funeral at Nikenbah. He said he could remember "J. Ammenhauser, the Funeral Man". He used 2 horses to pull his hearse.


Jens Rasmussen's house burnt down. According to Cecil Cohen, "there was a woman chasing him around the place and wanted to marry him". He was not interested and she tried to burn the house down twice.

This property in 1990 was still in the Rasmussen family. There used to be a "juice mill" or sugar mill on the property in the last century.


Niels Andersen owned the property adjacent to Anders Jensen (on the opposite side to Hans Jorgensen). Neils was the son of Anders Jensen and Kirsten Pedersen. Yes, another Anders Jensen!

This other Anders Jensen, was the son of Nils Jensen and Marie Pedersen. He is also buried at Nikenbah Cemetery. Other children of this Anders were Peder, Anna, Lauritz, Maren, Anders and of course Niels.

Mr. and Mrs. Neils Andersen celebrated their Diamond wedding anniversary in April 1937. Neils arrived on the Alardos (or Alardus) in June 1873. His wife arrived on the Lammershagen on 18 January 1877.



DEATH NOTICE - (Maryborough Chronicle - Monday 12 February 1923)

JENSEN. - On February 10th, 1923, at the Maryborough Hospital, Anders, beloved husband of Mrs. Jensen, and beloved father of Christie, Martin, Niels, Albert, J. Walter, Enos, and Emil Jensen, Mrs. E. Jensen, Mrs. J. Jacobsen, and Mrs. E. Christophersen, aged 74 years and 7 months.

"At Rest."



FUNERAL NOTICE - (Maryborough Chronicle - Monday 12 February 1923)

The relatives and friends of the late ANDERS JENSEN, of Pialba, are respectfully invited to attend his funeral, to move from the Nikenbah Railway Station, on TUESDAY MORNING, on arrival of the train at 11 o'clock, for the Nikenbah Cemetery.


Funeral Directors, Adelaide street

'Phone 183.



OBITUARY - (Maryborough Chronicle - Monday 12 February 1923)

There passed away on Saturday evening at the Maryborough Hospital Mr. Anders Jensen, aged 74 years and 7 months. The deceased gentleman was born in Denmark, and came out to Queensland 40 years ago. He was one of the old pioneers of the Pialba district, where he was engaged in farming at "Dulong Farm." The late Mr. Jensen was twice married, and leaves a widow and a large grown-up family by the first marriage. namely, Messrs. Christie, Martin and Emil (Sydney), Neils (Pialba), Albert (Wynnum), Julius Walter (station master, Kandanga, Mary Valley Line), Enos Jensen ( Tinana), and Mesdames E. Jensen (Nikenbah), J. Jacobsen (Takura), and E. Christophersen (Bathurst), N.S. Wales). For the past twelve months deceased had been residing with his son-in-law, Mr. J. Jacobsen. The funeral takes place on Tuesday morning from the Nikenbah railway station, at 11 o'clock, for Nikenbah cemetery.



Magdalena Mortensen

Born 10 July 1848 in Ribe, Denmark

Died 24 June 1906 at Doolong Farm, Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia


hline.gif (2424 bytes)


Jensen Web Ring


Can anyone help me with more information?


"Australia @ War" WWII Research Products

I need your help


 Peter Dunn OAM 2020


Please e-mail me
any information or photographs

"Australia @ War"
8GB USB Memory Stick

This page last updated 21 February 2020