HANGAR NO. 1 AT ARCHERFIELD
USED DURING WWII
Hangar No. 1 at Archerfield Airfield
Hangar No. 1 at Archerfield Airfield - 7 August 1999
Hangar No. 1 - 7 August 1999
Hangar No. 1 - viewed from eastern end - 7 August 1999
Hangar No. 1 was originally referred to as the Government Hangar. It was initially built in 1927 at Eagle Farm and was then re-erected as the first hangar at Archerfield Airfield in April 1931.
The roof trusses are made of steel while the vertical supports are made of timber. During World War 2 a saw-tooth roofed extension was added to the eastern end of the building.
Hangars No. 1, 4 & 5 at Archerfield in early
1931. The cemetery is off the
picture to the right. Boundary Road can be seen in the distance
© Peter Dunn 2015
This page first produced 10 July 1999
This page last updated 29 October 2018