IN AUSTRALIAN WATERS DURING WW2
|visits since 10 July 2004|
USS LST-168 was commissioned on 3 May 1943. Its first Commanding Officers was Lt. Arthur S. Moreau, USCGR who served on LST-168 from 3 May 1943 until til 4 April 1944. Lt. H. Twiford was the next Commanding Officer serving from 4 April 1944 until 14 March 1946.
LST-168 was part of LST Flotilla 7, Group 21, Division 42 and had an overall length of 327ft 9ins with a beam of 50ft.
LST-22 was powered by two General Motors 12-567 diesels, with twin shafts/rudders. It had a range of 24,000 nautical miles at 9 knots, with a top speed of 11.6 knots. It carried a full complement of 111 men and could carry an additional 163 troops.
Its initial armament comprised:-
After trial runs at Gulfport, Mississippi, the Coast Guard manned LST-168 left New Orleans, Louisiana, in convoy under the Commander of Flotilla 7 and reached Cleveland Bay, Townsville on 10 June 1943 via Lemon Bay, Panama Canal, Balboa, Bora Bora, Pango Suva, Noumea, and Brisbane.
After transporting supplies and ammunition between Milne Bay, Lae, and Buna she left Lae in convoy. She then took part in many battle operations in New Guinea and surrounding islands and moved to the Philippines.
LST-168 survived the war and was decommissioned on 14 March 1946.
USS LST-168 during the Philippine campaign
"These LST's were among the
first to drop ramps at Manila" with the capital
city of the Philippines free from Japanese, the harbour bustled with activity. . .";
October/November 1944?; Photo No. 4334; photographer unknown.
© Peter Dunn 2004
This page first produced 10 July 2004
This page last updated 11 July 2004