ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY
|visits since 16 June 2007|
Auxiliary Minesweeper HMAS Narani
The wooden steamer Narani was laid down in E Wright Yard, Tuncurry, NSW, in 1914.
She was requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy from her owners, The Illawarra & South Coast Steam Navigation Co on 5 December 1940.
The auxiliary minesweeper HMAS Narani (381 ton gross) was commissioned on 11 June 1941.
In December 1941 Auxiliary minesweeper HMAS Narani of the Group 77 Minesweepers was one of two minesweepers attached to HMAS Maitland, the RAN depot in Newcastle during WW2. The other auxiliary minesweeper attached to HMAS Maitland at that time was HMAS Bermagui.
HMAS Narani was equipped with one 12 pounder 12cwt QF, one 20mm Oerlikon, and one .303 inch Vickers machine gun and 4 Type D Depth Charges.
HMAS Narani was returned to her owners on 10 July 1946.
Royal Australian Navy A - Z Ships, Aircraft
and Shore Establishments
by J.H. Straczek
© Peter Dunn 2006
This page first produced 16 June 2007
This page last updated 16 June 2007