11 SIGNALS UNIT RAAF
IN AUSTRALIA DURING WW2
11 Signals Unit was promulgated at Air Force Headquarters on 6 December 1942. The initial elements of 11 Signals Unit were formed from the mobile W/T and Land Line Section which at that time were part of North West Area Headquarters. An advanced party left Air Force Headquarters on 6 January 1943 and arrived at 57½ Mile on 21 January 1943 in an area close to Advanced Headquarters North-West Area. The remainder of the unit arrived on 5 February 1943.
10 personnel from 11 Signals Unit proceeded to 52 Operational Base Unit and Berrimah on 8 February 1943 to relocated signals, cypher and operations rooms to the administration building at the Base Unit.
11 personnel from 11 Signals Unit proceeded to Parap Civilian airfield and 11 Mile Transmitting Station to obtain masts for a transmitting station to be established at 58 Mile for North-West Area Headquarters.
On 23 August 1943, the first load of equipment and Personnel moved to Groote Eylandt by aircraft. More equipment was delivered on 31 August 1943. The Land Line group returned to the mainland in late November 1943.
On 1 December 1943 personnel from 11 Signals Unit moved to the Fenton area. Small detachments from 11 Signals Unit were also involved in erecting buildings and installing radio equipment, cabling and aerials at Batchelor, Coomalie Creek, Darwin, Birdum, Gorrie, Gove, Truscott and Tindall.
The general camp area of 11 Signals Unit RAAF, part of 55 Operational Base Unit (OBU) at Birdum, NT, comprised simple huts with tarpaulin covered roofs. The area was previously occupied by the United States 145 Hospital before they moved to Adelaide River.
11 Signals Unit was disbanded on 22 August 1944.
"Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A
Concise History, Volume 1, Introduction, Bases, Supporting Organisations"
compiled by RAAF Historical Section
© Peter Dunn 2006
This page first produced 12 November 2002
This page last updated 24 March 2013