NAVAL WORKSHOP, TOWNSVILLE
|visits since 21 October 2000|
The Naval Depot and Workshop was built on reclaimed land (Reserves 166 and 306 owned by the Townsville Harbout Board) at the junction of the Strand with the western Breakwater, near the Harbour Board's mechanical workshop. It was used to overhaul naval vessels, particularly corvettes. The Naval repair staff were under the command of Lieutenant Commander "Jock" Webster.
The Townsville Harbout Board took over the Naval Workshop buildings after they were vacated by the Navy.
Is that the Naval Workshop and Depot at bottom left of this photograph?
The Defence of Townsville Harbour
"Z" Force Commandos Raid Townsville Harbour
"The History of Townsville Harbour 1864 - 1979"
By H.J. Taylor
Peter Dunn 2002
Click here to E-Mail
This page first produced 21 October 2000
This page last updated 16 September 2007