AIRCRAFT UNLOADED AT TOWNSVILLE HARBOUR
|visits since 21 October 2000|
The first ship to land aircraft at Townsville Harbour was the "Tophee". It unloaded 22 Kittyhawks. They were towed along the front of No. 4 Shed by tow motors. The "Verandah" or ouloading section of No. 4 shed had been removed to allow this to happen.
The Kittyhawks were then towed down Perkins Street and across Sandy Crossing near Railway Estate headed for Garbutt airfield. Most aircraft arrived on converted Liberty Ships and were unloaded at No. 5 Crane berth. Over a period, numerous P-40 Kittyhawks and P-38 Lightnings were towed along Perkins Street.
Townsville Harbour Board
The Defence of Townsville Harbour
"Z" Force Commandos Raid Townsville Harbour
"The History of Townsville Harbour 1864 - 1979"
By H.J. Taylor
Peter Dunn 2002
Click here to E-Mail
This page first produced 21 October 2000
This page last updated 02 April 2002