CAMP VICTORIA PARK
|visits since 28 November 2001|
Sign erected by the Brisbane City Council at the Clubhouse of the Victoria Park Golf Course
Camp Victoria Park was built to accommodate all of the logistical support for the American forces who had started to swarm into Brisbane after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The camp consisted of a large number of pre-fabricated buildings which stretched from Herston Road across the park to Gregory Terrace.
The Headquarters for the United States Army Service of Supply (USASOS) was established at Camp Victoria Park from August 1943 until they moved to Hollandia in September 1944.
The entrance to Victoria Park Hqs.
U.S. Army Services of Supply (USASOS)
across the road from the Medical School on Herston Rd. in 1944. You can
see in the distance, the back of the Officers Club on Gregory Tce. Hqs. USASOS
was the main U.S. Army in Australia, after most of the Americans had left Australia.
Part of Camp Victoria Park
(Photo supplied by Bill Bentson)
Newspaper clipping on the flag
pole at Camp
which was located at the Victoria Park Golf Club
The USASOS was responsible for the administration of the supply of all materials for the US Army from tooth brushes to a large tank. There was a mixture of office and living quarter buildings located in Camp Victoria Park. RAAF Command took over the area after the US Army moved out in September 1944.
The area is now mainly taken up by the Victoria Park Golf Links. There are at least two buildings left from Camp Victoria Park still existing near the Energex Control Centre. One houses the Queensland Energy Museum and the other is currently used by the Queensland Department of Health. The latter building had been previously used by the Queensland Electricity Generating Board (QEGB) as their Southern Region Office (I used to work in the building for a number of years).
The Gregory Terrace Officers' Camp was located on the other side of the railway line from Camp Victoria Park.
Just after WW2, the newly established Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR) moved into the "temporary" buildings of the WW2 Camp Victoria Park opposite the then Brisbane General Hospital. They stayed there until 1977 when they moved to a new building, specifically erected for the purpose at the Royal Brisbane Hospital,
|United States Army Service of Supply (USASOS) Insignia|
|An aerial photo taken in 1946 showing almost the full extent of Camp Victoria Park and the nearby Exhibition Grounds|
|Former military building from Camp Victoria Park now used to house the Queensland Energy Museum in the rear of the Energex Control Centre|
|The building that the Queensland Energy Museum is housed in is a very long building. It is believed that it was used as a store during WW2|
|Inside the Queensland Energy Museum building|
|Another building at Camp Victoria Park used after WW2|
|USASOS Gate Guardian Schneider Howitzer|
|Victoria Park Temporary Tenements, former RAAF huts|
|Accommodation for the Air Training Corps at Victoria Park in USASOS huts after WW2|
|Aerial photo of part of Camp Victoria Park, September 1943|
In 1944, Ken Osterberg was a member of Detachment 3 of the 832nd Signal Service Company. Ken went overseas as a replacement and landed at Milne Bay, New Guinea and was then sent from there to Brisbane via Sydney. His group from the 832nd worked on the 7th floor of General Douglas MacArthur's General Headquarters, South West Pacific Area (GHQ, SWPA) in the AMP Building in Queen Street, Brisbane. Ken and his unit were initially billeted in an old orphan's home, then he moved to a camp which he believes was Camp Moorooka, then moved to a camp at a tennis club, and finally, they moved Camp Victoria Park.
|1. Mail Room
2. Mess Hall
3. The Club used by Ken Osterberg
|Close-up of one of the above buildings at Camp Victoria Park|
|The "X" denotes the barracks that Ken Osterberg lived in at Camp Victoria Park|
|Close-up of two of the above buildings|
I'd like to thank Ken Osterberg of Detachment 3 of the 832nd Signal Service Company for his assistance with this home page.
© Peter Dunn 2003
This page first produced 28 November 2001
This page last updated 30 December 2003