"GLENROMA" 10 LAUREL
CHELMER, BRISBANE, QLD
USED AS AN AUSTRALIAN RED CROSS CONVALESCENT HOME
The Australian Red Cross established a number of Convalescent Homes through Australia early in the war in Europe for use by members of the Australia Defence Forces not requiring further active medical treatment. The Australian Red Cross was responsible for transporting patients from Military Hospitals to the Convalescent Homes. In 1940 the charge for treatment was 6 shillings per day per patient. The following is a list of the Australian Red Cross Convalescent Homes in operation in 1940:-
"Glenroma", Laurel Avenue, Chelmer, Queensland
"Neringah", Neringah Avenue, Wahroonga, New South Wales
Newcastle and District Red Cross Convalescent Home, Dudley, Newcastle, New South Wales
The Lady Gowrie Red Cross Convalescent Home, 10 Edward Street, Gordon, New South Wales
The Lady Wakehurst Red Cross Convalescent Home, 197 Birrell Street, Bondi, New South Wales
"Stonnington", Glenferrie Road, Melbourne, Victoria
"Kurneh", Domain Road, South Yarra, Victoria (for Officers)
"Rockingham", Barker's Road, Kew, Victoria
"Kapara", Moseley Street, Glenelg, South Australia
The Lady Mitchell Convalescent Home, Railway Parade, Cottesloe, Western Australia
Red Cross Convalescent Home, Claremont, Tasmania
"Glenroma" at Laurel Avenue, Chelmer was Brisbane's first Australian Red Cross Convalescent home. The house was previously owned by Mr. A.E. Harding Frew when it was purchased by the Australian Red Cross in about February 1941. It was located near a railway station and was reserved exclusively for convalescent returned sailors, soldiers and airmen.
AWM ID Number: 017476
Australian Red Cross
Convalescent Home, "Glenroma", 10 Laurel Ave,
Chelmer, Brisbane, which was run by the Australian Red Cross,
on 23 August 1944. It had a capacity of 73 patients.
A new two level dormitory was built to accommodate an initial 25 beds plus another 25 if needed later. Architects Mr. E.J. A. Weller, President of the Australian Institute of Architects, and Messrs R.M. Wilson and R.W. Voller worked on a voluntary basis with the advisory committee of the Australian Red Cross for the redevelopment of the site to become a convalescent home.
"Glenroma" comprised 15 large airy high-ceilinged rooms with spacious verandahs on three sides. It was on 3 1/4 acres of and situated well above the 1893 flood level. The land extended down to the river at the rear. The Convalescent Home was staffed by highly trained assistants, supplemented by volunteers from the Voluntary Aid Detachment.
"Glenroma" and the adjoining dormitory that was built in 1941 can still be seen in Street View on Google Earth. (-27.511287° 152.970088°)
The Courier Mail (Brisbane) Tuesday 25 February 1941, Page 13
Can anyone help me with more information?
© Peter Dunn 2015
This page first produced 8 July 2016
This page last updated 08 July 2016