SCHOOL OF MILITARY
FORTRESS WING, LOCATED AT GEORGE HEIGHTS,
SYDNEY, NSW DURING WW2
|visits since 13 November 2003|
The first Army School in Searchlight equipment was started at the School of Military Engineering (Fortress Wing) at Georges Heights, Sydney, New South Wales in October 1939.
Major B.F. Hussey, Australian Staff Corps was appointed the Chief Instructor at the School on 10 April 1940. The first class in Anti-aircraft Searchlight (AASL) Duties was held from 1 - 10 June 1940.
Instructors in this first training course were as follows:-
Maj. B.A. Morris
Capt. J.H. Polglaze
Capt. J.A. Robinson
Course attendees were as follows:-
Maj. J.W. Main
Capt. C.G. Hodgson
Lt. C Harper (VIC)
Lt. Hudson (WA)
Following this first course the School moved to the old RAE Barracks at nearby Georges Head. In July 1941, it again relocated into new buildings at Middle Head.
In July 1942, the School established the AASL Training Battalion at Wagga.
"Expose! - A History of Searchlights in
by Noel F. Hill
© Peter Dunn 2003
This page first produced 13 November 2003
This page last updated 13 November 2003